Join Today is the Institution which is offering relevant content for people who are looking for financial news.
The company has created a great piece of content and was interested in getting more relevant visitors, who interested in financial news to grow their brand awareness.
Previously they have been testing GDN by themselves but faced such problems:
- It took 4-5 days to get enough amounts of relevant traffic;
- CPC and cost per call were higher compared with other traffic sources;
We didn’t have access to their previous campaigns and we have been very time limited – we had only 14 days to show results.
1.Create measurement model:
First of all, we had to come up with measurement model. We decided to use micro conversions to evaluate traffic quality, our main conversion was registered once visitor has viewed 75% of the video and was implemented using AdWords tracking code. This conversion was used for CPA bidding.
Also, we have created several conversions using Google Analytics – we have used this tool to analyzed campaign performance.
2.Structure campaigns to get higher impression share from placements with highest conversion rates.
From the very beginning we have decided to use AdWords CPA bidding, so we had to organize campaigns following 2 main principles:
- Separate ad group for each targeting method (keyword, topic, placement etc.), so we would be able to place CPA bids on ad group level;
- Focus on 1-3 main campaigns, which would get 90% of conversion volume so AdWords will have more data;
3. Test different targeting settings:
We have been testing all suitable targeting methods limiting CPC:
- Search + Display Select using Accelerated
- Keyword targeting
- Similar audiences
- Topic and Interests
From the very beginning, we combined different targeting methods using Target and Bid settings (condition AND).
Also, we have created Custom affinity audiences:
- We have constantly checked placement report and from Top performing placements were moved to separate campaign to get higher Impression Share:
- We have realized that some big websites such forbes.com have been giving low conversion rate, so we have been adding an additional topic or keyword targeting in needed ad groups. As a result, we have received less traffic but increased conversion rates;
- There was a big volume of placements which generated low page depth traffic with 0% conversion rate, so we have created script which excluded them on a daily basis;
- We have been using the method of rotation – “Optimize for conversions” and have been utilizing all possible type of ads to participate in more auctions;
- We have been constantly working on CPA bids;
Results: During first two weeks we have lowered cost per conversion from $13 to $5 but amounts of traffic were limited so if we wanted to spend more we had to decrease Impression Share lost due to rank. It wasn’t the best strategy because this would lead to higher cost per conversion, so we have decided to test YouTube using both In-Stream and Discovery ads. Next day client called us and asked to increase YouTube budget by 500% because they started to get much more phone calls.
What’s next: We have discovered YouTube after spending 85% of project budget so right now we are preparing a set of questions and plan to massively invest in YouTube Brand Lift campaigns starting from the beginning of December, right now the client is working on new relevant content.