Do you know how to make your Google and Facebook ads campaigns profitable? In UAWC we have a system which helps most of our clients to become successfull. Our PPC managers are able to deliver maximum results with minimum effort from clients side.
We call it a “true detective” approach.
There is a lot of challenge in each project. PPC management is not a boring job – it’s an interesting investigation. Not profitable website is a crime which we need to solve.
We always reward ourselfs at the end of the day (cheers).
PPC decisions can lead to your business either making a fortune or losing everything. At some point, most of the businesses begin to become philanthropic. They help to build new homes in poor rural areas, send medicine and food to Africa and much more.
Each PPC success is life-changing for many people.
Our mission here in UAWC (which stands for the United Army of Wonderful Creatures) is to create a unique and effective learning environment which would move clients busineses to the new level. We have a small but effective army of PPC detectives.
So how do we solve crimes?
What is the process? On the surface it’s very simple and straightforward:
Part number one. Onboarding strategy based on checklist.
There are different type of crimes – some clients want to focus on Google Ads, others have problem with Instagram and Facebook ads. For each of those problems we have designed a check list for each of the problems.
The first step of any check list is to learn business in detail, searching for all evidences. Before making any decisions we learn all about the client’s businesses in-depth. PPC detecive just in few years becomes an expert in many areas.
Step 1. Onboarding call with the client to define goals and fill strategy draft doc
Step 2. Set up campaigns based on checklist.
Here is a bit of information on how we organize this process.
- We work in Basecamp. It stores useful information about project strategy. Also, each project is subdivided into two to-do lists – a hypothesis which are in test and to-do/ideas.
- We work in teams. Each team has a separate Google doc where all projects, as well as project goals and budgets, are listed.
Part number two. Daily check in Google Data studio dashboard.
Once we created campaigns and defined goals we need to make sure that we are moving in the right direction. Each PPC manager creates a personal dashboard in Google Data stuido where he/she can see the performance of all his PPC accounts on different levels.
Daily check has two main goals:
- Control budgets – make sure that campaigns are live, that profitable campaigns are not limited by budget and we are not overspending.
- Check if there are any significant downs in revenue or cost per conversion. Based on the law of small numbers it’s ok to have drops and downs. But if there is a steady drop in performance 3 days in a row, we alarm the team leader so that we can react accordingly.
Part number three. Weekly investigation.
PPC management is about being able to find the highest frequency hypothesis, which really influences the sale. It’s about hard thinking – not about robotic bidding behavior.
To reach the clients goals we follow this process:
Let’s breakdown the process step by step:
- Check past experiements and take notes on the learned content in Basecamp. Before you can make any new assumptions you need to check how your previous hypothesis worked out. We store all usefull facts about the project in basecamp to share it with client and avoid testing same things in future.
- If the goal has not been reached, make a list of hypotheses. Write down any ideas, even those that might be stupid. The idea is to follow your creative flow and think of all possible ways to achieve your goal. We have created specific audit templates, both for Google and Facebook. You can just copy & paste these templates and find all possible ideas for your project.
- Determine one or two hypotheses, which in your opinion would have the biggest impact on the results. If you have trouble with choosing the right hypotheses, prioritize with ICE scoring
- Take action. Apart from that make sure that you went through all actions in the weekly check list. Weekly check list stores
The main goal of the weekly check is to determine the highest frequency hypothesis which yields the highest influence on results. It’s very easy to start doing some boring routine tasks – but usually, it’s useless. Nevertheless, there are actions which we take in each account every week:
Part number four. Five min report each Friday.
We need to make sure that we are on the same page with our partners. That’s why we send regualr feedback based on this draft. This does not take a long time. But it keeps everything in order in Basecamp since clients have constant access to every project.
Be clever – be Sherlock! Ask yourself which one action will have the strongest influence on clients and test only this assumption! Forget about the less important details. Perform 20-80 analysis and make sure that you and client have implemented the most important 20%. Be like a train which moves on the high speed. The final destination – clients results. If you are using 80-20 principle in work it means that you:
- find the easiest way to achieve project goal – save your and clients time
- become best in few things and neglect others, for example, don’t try to be great both in PPC and SEO or AI
- identify the most profitable segments of traffic on different levels and make sure client optimizes his offer and website for most profitable segments
- focus on the work which you do the best – don’t take tasks which belong to other people
- judge your work based on results, not based on how long did you work
- choose only 1-3 most important hypothesis and implement them on the highest possible level
- don’t work with clients who don’t follow your recommendations – you would not be able to fully test your assumptions in this scenario
- think big – think different and never copy-paste your competitors
- make fun 🙂
Sometimes we determined the winning hypothesis and increased revenue 10-fold making changes on account of only a few hours per month. However, it took us several hours to come up with winning hypothesis.
To summarize – system helps to turn regualar work into interesting part of life and achieve great resutls for our partners and clients. The key of the system is the weekly investigation which is based on several check lists. If you want we can share some of our favorite check lists with you. Leave a comment below.