To succeed with Google Ads and SEO you need to have a perfect list of target keywords. The correct keywords will drive more sales at minimum cost. There is only one success factor when it comes to keyword research – your list should be better than that of any of your competitors. In this article we will teach how to beat them.
This list should cover all areas of your business.
By the way, before we start, make sure you understand how match types work in Google Ads. You can learn more about them by reading our article: https://uawc.agency/blog/google-ads-keyword-match-types-a-detailed-overview/. If you already know them, I congratulate you! Let’s move on.
Targeting keywords are phrases tied to your industry, audience, and offerings. There are three types of keywords:
- Informational keywords – people want to find a solution for their problem. For example: “How to get rid of the eye-strain”.
- Product keywords – people research different brands and visit websites that provide the best solution for their problem. For example: “Ambr Eyewear glasses”.
- Transactional keywords – people are ready to make a purchase. Their search query may contain words associated with “buy”. Also, people can add location characteristics. For example: “Buy blue light glasses in Ireland”.
Step 1. Generate a list of ideas (keyword map)
Let’s start and find the first keywords. Before using any tools, you need to create a list of ideas. Because if you add only one or two keywords to your campaigns, you will not get relevant keyword ideas
Ideas are not keywords but directions of focus. It only takes a few hours to become an expert in this field.
For example, let’s say you want to sell blue light glasses. You can ask yourself: “What topics do people search for that are related to my business?”
Write down the topics that come to mind.
These can be:
Some ideas on how to expand this list of ideas:
- Search Google Sites
You can find new keywords in Wiki blogs or relatable topics in the Search Related To block and Google Suggest block.
2. Use Reddit
People use Reddit to discuss events that happened in their life. On Reddit, you can catch real people’s emotions and use them for your advertising.
Most people want to look pretty in their glasses – this is the main issue for them when buying new glasses. Also, they talk about the emotional attachment with their glasses.
Moreover, you can try to search your topics on forums.
3. Check Competitor’s Sites and the Keywords they use.
Competitor’s Sites can also give you more keywords to add to your list.
4. Search Synonyms for each word
5. Finally, your keyword map is ready.
The first tool, which I’m sure you have heard about, is the Keyword Planner. This is a free tool that helps you to discover new keywords for your business and provides previous statistics of searches, competition, CPC, and other useful metrics.
Here is a step-by-step instruction on how to use Keyword Planner:
Step 2. Use Keyword Planner
- You can find it in your Google Account -> Tools & Settings -> Keyword Planner.
2. Search for new keywords by clicking Discover new keywords or upload existing keywords by clicking Get search volume and forecasts:
3. Choose your target language, target location(s), target search network(s), and enter your keyword. You will see characteristics and keyword ideas.
4. Check your search and grouped ideas. Select keywords that are fit to your business:
Also, a new tool helps you to Refine keywords.
In case you want to run ads on platforms such as Yandex Direct or if you would like to check additional keywords ideas in Russian language, it makes sense to use the Yandex Wordstat service.
Step 3. Additional tools: Yandex Wordstat
Note: You should create a Yandex Account to use this service or use your live account if you have it already.
- Choose the region(s) where your target audience is located. You will see keyword statistics only for these regions because in every country, search queries are different.
2. Write your search query and click on the Submit button, and you will see a list of queries from which you can select:
If you need to collect Chinese keywords for your campaign, you can use this tool:
- Type your keyword(s) and select the area
- There are keyword ideas and competitive metrics that can help you to choose the right keywords for your campaigns.
Step 4. KeyCollector
KeyCollector helps with analyzing, collecting, and organizing keywords, as well as with selecting negatives. You can connect KeyCollector with Google Ads Keyword planner, Yandex Wordstat, Ahrefs, and Serpstat services (etc.)
1. Create a new Google Ads account for KeyCollector. I will explain why: When the KeyCollector collects keywords, this will be perceived as suspicious activity in the account by Google and you may be banned; therefore, it is better not to use the email that is associated with your working Google Ads account.
- Download https://www.key-collector.com/buy.php
- Create a new project.
Click on the tools in the top left corner. Select Google Adwords and enter the login:password of your new account. Save changes.
- You can customize your columns by clicking on this button:
5. Click on this button to start collecting keywords. You can add them to an existing group or distribute them among several groups:
In order to collect a complete list of key phrases, use the feature “Search Suggestions”. It gathers words suggested by search predictions from Google, Bing, and Yandex (etc.)
After words from all channels have been collected, let’s start to analyze them – put words into groups, work with duplicates, and make negative lists of keywords.
6. Removing duplicates:
- Click on the Data menu
- Choose all keywords variants that you have collected.
- Click on Find implicit duplicates.
- In the open window, click on Do smart analysis.
This will remove phrases that are already here, but in a different order. Don’t forget to click on the red cross.
- Add Negative keywords
If you see that some words are not a good fit for your products, you can put them into a negative keyword list. You can use this list for your campaigns later. Then, your ads will not be shown to people who use these words in the search terms.
Finally, you can export your data.
The same steps can be taken in Excel. Just export your semantics from the column and add them to groups.
So, it’s time to practice! I hope you enjoyed my article and it was useful for you. I wish you good luck and persistence.