3 minutes read
Keywords are words, phrases, or search strings a stakeholder uses when they’re searching for something in google.
Big list of relevant keywords is your competitive advantage. It allows you to:
- Set up profitable campaigns on Google Ads.
- Produce relevant content and as a result get more relevant organic (free) visitors to your website.
If I would read this article 8 years ago I would save more than 200 working hours on keyword research.
Here is the plan:
- Create an initial keyword list in Keyword planner
- Import initial list to keyword planner
- Filter relevant keywords
- Filter negative keywords
1. Create an initial keyword list
Each business has several stakeholders. Gradually you can develop a separate strategy for each of them but initially, you need to choose the most important group of customers.
Before using any keyword research software you need to do a bit of hard thinking. Open a google doc and write down all possible keyword variations which come to your mind. These tips can help you:
- What problem do you solve? Write down all the problems which your customers face.
- Check different pages of your website.
- Check Wikipedia and special forums.
2. Import initial list to keyword planner
Keyword planner is a Google tool which allows users to research and analyze lists of keywords for use in pay-per-click campaigns.
3. Filter relevant keywords
Kill all keywords which are not very popular – it’s too time-consuming to analyze all of them and create individualized ads.
4. Filter negatives
Negatives are are such words which prevent your ads from showing on specific search terms. Negative keyword research is more important than keyword research itself! You might want to block all search terms which contain “free” or “torrent” as you know that they would not bring significant value.
Just go through the entire list, delete all irrelevant keywords and put all negatives into a separate list.
Finally, we would add to the list universal negatives which you can find in this article.
If you read this article, please, share your thoughts in the comment section below.